Monday 17 March 2014

National Trust challenge part 2 - Scones

I must confess I do enjoy eating a cream tea whenever the opportunity presents itself but I do not often make scones. The last batch I remember baking was some cheese scones for my husband as a valentines present 2 or 3 years ago so I thought that they would be a good challenge for me. After deciding I was going to do a sweet recipe rather than a savoury one I decided on the Ulster Scones recipe (I would like to say that was a nod to St Patrick's day, but I did not realise that when I chose it) 

Again I was able to use the wholemeal flour from Anglesey Abbey but I decided to halve the recipe which meant I had to do some creative working as I have never attempted to halve an egg and I never will. It was a nice easy recipe to follow and I put my ever trusty kMix to good use.
I had a little helper who wanted to cut out the shapes for me, I decided to break away from tradition and use other cutters as well as my round one to cut out the scone. Mainly because I have such a large selection of cutter I have to make sure I use them at every possible event.
























Here is my version of the recipe, the original one is from The National Trust Complete Traditional Recipe Book by Sarah Edington


140g wholemeal flour
110g strong white flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 
35g caster sugar
30g glace cherries chopped
40g butter
140ml buttermilk
1 egg. 

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, sift together the flours, bicarbonate of soda and sugar, mix in cherries. Rub in butter and add buttermilk and egg. Kneed until it comes together. Do not over work the dough (I did and  you can taste it in the finished scone) Roll out to about 2.5cm thick and cut out scones. Put on baking tray and bake for between 10 - 15 minutes until risen and golden brown.  


For more National Trust recipes click here

These scones were very tasty and to prove it, I made them yesterday morning and there are none left today!











No comments:

Post a Comment