Thursday 3 April 2014

National Trust Challenge part 4 - Dorset Apple Cake


I live on the boarder of Somerset and Dorset which an amazing part of the world. So I felt like I had to make this recipe, it had nothing to do with the fact that our fruit bowl was over run by apples for some reason this week.

I was very lucky as my parents were visiting us this weekend and my mum bought me a bundt tin for mothers day


So I had to use this to make the cake, I decided to make this slightly at the last minuet as we had someone leaving at work so I did not have the cider that it called for or even apple juice which I think would have worked just as well. I used water which did not have any negative effects on the taste or the consistency.

Again this was a very easy cake to make, I think it took me more time to peal and chop the apples than it do to make the rest of the cake. I used mainly wholemeal flour with a small amount of plain flour and more apples than it said (as we had loads) but it did work. 

Here is my version of the recipe which comes from The National Trust Complete Traditional Cook Book by Sarah Eddington.

3 apples peeled and chopped
50g of mixed dried fruit
1/4 pint water, apple juice or cider (whatever you fancy or have to hand) 
110g butter
110g brown sugar
2 eggs
150g wholemeal flour
75g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Soak the apple and dried fruit in the water/apple juice/cider while you cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs one at a time then sift in the dry ingredients. Fold in the apples, dried fruit and the liquid then spoon into a baking tin. 


Bake at 180 for 30 - 40 minutes. until golden brown. 


It is very tasty with a cup of tea, and I wasn't the only one with a thought of cake in the office on Tuesday 


But these were three very healthy cakes, we had carrot cake, lemon drizzle and apple cake. Think they must be at least some of our 7 a day!

For more National Trust recipes look here







No comments:

Post a Comment